When it comes to the holidays, Vegan dishes tend to be a lot of sides! Which is great, we love some green bean casserole! But finding that filling entree for the center of your plate is really what we want. Insert this fluffy lentil stromboli! Cut into it with your fork or get messy with your hands, either way... you will be full and satisfied.
For the dough/crust
- 14oz ball of pizza dough. I used gluten free
- 3tblsp EVOO
- Garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion powder
For the filling
- 1blsp vegan butter
- 2tblsp flour, I used GF all purpose
- 1tblsp EVOO
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1teasp: salt, sage, pepper, thyme, oregano, cumin
- 1/4 cup diced: yellow onion, celery, mushrooms
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1tblsp tomato paste
- 1 cup cooked lentils
You will add the filling ingredients to the dish in the order they are listed above.
1. If dough is frozen, leave out to thaw at room temperature.
2. Bring a medium saucepan to heat. Add in butter, as it melts start to whisk in flour and olive oil. Next slowly add the remaining filling ingredients. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
3. Lay a large sheet of parchment paper flat on the counter. Generously coat with flour. Next add your ball of dough to the center. Flour both of your hands and the rolling pin. Now begin to roll out the dough creating a rectangular shape, about 1/2 inch thick.
4. Add cooled filling to the center of the dough. Creating a line of filling the middle, keeping the filling in this line and creating height with it. Keep about 3 vertical inches of clean dough at each end. Think of this as if you were filling a burrito
5. Now we are going to close the stromboli in a crisscross pattern. Using a pastry cutter or thin knife, cut horizontal slits in the dough about 1 inch thick apart, beginning at the filling line and stopping at the edge of the dough. Cut your first line at the 3inch mark at the top/bottom of the dough and work your way down, stopping at the 3inch mark on the other end.
6. Gently pull the dough slits up and over the filling in a crisscross motion. Make sure the filling is completely covered with the dough. If not, it will leak out in the oven and the dough will expand. Tuck the end sections of the dough in like a burrito. Smooth over any chunky pieces of dough
7. Mix the remaining olive oil and seasonings in a small bowl and brush over the top of the stromboli. Clean off any excess flour on the sides of the parchment paper and then gently slide the stromboli (on the parchment paper) onto a sheet pan. Bake @ 375 for 20 minutes. Take out and rotate and bake for an additional 15/20. How crispy you like your crust!
8. Brush with olive oil once more and serve